amtwitter

 

PRWeek, DEARBORN, MI: Ford Motor Co.’s CEO Alan Mulally is participating in a Twitter-based Q&A from 1:00 to 1:30pm EST today. The foray into Twitter by the company’s top executive is part of Ford’s ongoing social media strategy to better connect with consumers at a time when car manufacturers are struggling globally. 

Using the hashtag #FordCEO, Mulally, in conjunction with Scott Monty, manager of digital and multimedia communications, will answer the public’s questions via the the Ford Twitter account. 
 

Mulally had previously taken journalist questions through Twitter but this particular effort was a way to connect with “anyone who is interested in Ford’s progress,” said Monty. 

 

Following the Q&A, a behind-the-scenes video of Mulally tweeting will later appear on TheFordStory.com.    

 

“With Twitter, you can’t give people too much of an advanced notice,” said Monty, who was in the midst of putting out a social media press release on April 14.

 

This effort is an extension of the way in which Ford is leveraging its social media tools, including Twitter, to align with the automaker’s continued strategy of showing the people behind the brand, he added.

 

“For the consumer, it’s really easy to dismiss the brand if its just that blue oval,” said Monty. “We’re embracing a communications strategy [that’s] shifted away from focusing primarily on financial and auto publications… and more toward consumer-facing [initiatives]. Social media is a big part of that.”

 

Leading up to the New York International Auto Show on April 7, the automaker’s support staff tweeted to offer rides in Ford Fiestas to anyone in the city. Also, a “Tweet-Up” marked the same night, with Ford announcing its intention behind the Fiesta Movement, a new program providing about 100 digital influencers with Ford Fiestas. 

Team Detroit, which includes Ogilvy PR Worldwide’s 360 Degree Digital Influence and ad firms, helped coordinate the Fiesta Movement program.